It doesn't Matta

Monday, June 05, 2006

Karma Chameleon



Had an interesting Karmic experience the other night. Heather and I went to one of my favorite bars on L.I. on Sunday night. It was there a few years ago, that someone posed a bunch of hypothetical questions to me and my friends. I only remembered 2 of them, and posed one of them to Heather on Sunday.

Let's say you are at a bar, and you see an attractive guy across the room, sitting at a table. You go over to him, sit down, and chat for hours. He is a great guy..everything you're looking for. He gets your number, and asks you out on a date, which you eagerly accept. You get up and go back to your friends, but see him leaving, and notice that he was paraplegic. Do you go on the date with him?

When I was first asked the question, I teetered. I guess I still do. On the one had, he is perfect in every other way, I'm certainly not perfect...but do I really want to date someone so physically needy? And, he may not have LIED in our first meeting, but he certainly didn't MENTION that he was paraplegic...which is a very important piece of information, I think. Should I be angry about that? Angry enought to not go out with the guy?

Anyway, Heather's answer was "No" she wouldn't date the guy. Her reasoning was compelling and made sense.

Later on that night, we were drinking and having a good time, (loud as usual), when two guys came over to our table, sat with us, and just began chatting.

A normal thing on any given night. Here's what was different...BOTH guys were PARAPLEGIC! In WHEELCHAIRS!

Ironic? YES! Karmic? UNDOUBTEDLY! Weird? NAH...I wouldn't expect anything less during a Heather/Stacia night out.

6 Comments:

Anonymous me said...

First of all, I'm so glad you're back. Now, about your post: That's sooo crazy. What are the chances? In case you care, I couldn't do it. I think I'm too shallow. But I have a story. My ex boss married a parapalegic for spite. I'm not sure she ever loved him, but her parents didn't think it was a good idea for her to date him, so to be a rebel - she married him. Here's the kicker, after several years of marriage and two children later (via sperm donors I think) he cheated on her and left her for the school nurse. I guess their lvies are more "normal" than one would expect. They potentially have the same relationship difficulties as anyone else. I ended up working with the guy later on. His desk was right behind mine. He was soooo annoying; he would listen in on all of my telephone conversations and then ask me questions about things I had been discussing.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Stacia said...

Along the same lines, the 2 guys we met, rolled in to the bar, after their friend (also wheelchair bound...and later we saw that he was the cutes out of the 3) passed out back in the parking lot. These 2 guys left him, and came in to have some drinks. I thought that was a pretty dickless move in their part...leaving their friend for dead, Heather thought it was rather badass of them (making them a bit more attractive to her). They did, however, buy 2 rounds of jaeger shots (But I HATE Jaeger!)

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home